Theatre History

Originally owned by Detroit area businessman and film house entrepreneur John H. Kunsky, the Royal Oak Music Theatre opened its doors in 1928. It quickly made its mark as one of Detroit's finest suburban theatres. In 1978, programming moved toward hosting live music and comedy. Worldwide Entertainment, LLC took over the venue in 2004, adding off-Broadway theatre, musicals, and dance productions to the mix.

The long list of eclectic and unforgettable performances at the Royal Oak Music Theatre includes The White Stripes, *NSYNC, Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Duran Duran, George Clinton & The Parliament Funkadelic, Hank Williams Jr., Iggy Pop, Run D.M.C., Violent Femmes, Bauhaus, Donovan, Mike Epps, John Heffron, Charlie Murphy, Donnell Rawlings & Bill Burr, Was (not Was), Ben Folds, the Romantics, Will Downing, John Legend, Modest Mouse, Violent Femmes, Our Lady Peace, Cake, The Ten Tenors, "Tap Dogs Rebooted," "Bellydance Superstars," and "Forever Tango." From movie house to concert venue, the theatre has undergone many changes throughout its 80-year history, and remains a viable institution in the ever-changing entertainment industry.

Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner